SBI2 Educational Webinar
Optimizing High Content Imaging and Analysis Techniques for 3D Spheroid Models
Presented by Judi Wardwell-Swanson of InSphero AG
and Arvonn Tully of Yokogawa Life Innovations
Thank you for registering for our educational webinar on Optimizing High Content Imaging Analysis Techniques for 3D Spheroid Models. This joint presentation, sponsored by InSphero and Yokogawa Life Innovations, was offered as part of the Society of Biomolecular Imaging and Informatics annual meeting. Due to technical difficulties beyond our control, some attendees had difficulty logging in to watch the live event on the SBI2 virtual meeting platform. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to watch the full presentation below.
Please contact InSphero and Yokogawa Life Innovations directly if you have any questions for the presenters. We also encourage you to visit the SBI2 High Content 2020 virtual meeting to view scientific sessions, roundtable discussions, and poster presentations, all of which will be available online through August 2021.
Webinar Description and Learning Objectives
In vitro spheroid models are fast becoming the de facto standard for drug discovery applications, largely due to their human-like physiological and morphological characteristics, tissue-like cellular complexity, and long culture lifespan, which enables longitudinal studies that better reflect patient treatment plans in the clinic. High content imaging and analysis (HCA) of 3D spheroid models can provide valuable information to help researchers untangle disease pathophysiology and assess novel therapies more effectively. Making the move from simple monolayer 2D cell models to dense 3D spheroids in HCI applications, however, requires 3D-optimized protocols, instrumentation, and resources.
In this webinar, we discuss considerations for high content imaging and analysis of 3D spheroid disease models for drug discovery, share lessons we learned while in setting up and conducting proof-of-concept studies designed to test the full potential for high-resolution image-based analysis of 3D spheroid models and provide a working checklist for researchers and core services groups planning to exploit these technologies in their work. You will learn:
- Core advantages of 3D models and 3D in vitro technology engineered for drug discovery applications, and the range of rich, physiologically relevant data you can extract from 3D disease models using HCA methods.
- Considerations when upgrading high content imaging from 2D to 3D, including fixation, staining, and clearing methods.
- Tips and tricks for image acquisition, including HCA instrumentation requirements, algorithm optimization, and our guidelines for automated confocal image settings and parameters.
- HCA data analysis methodologies for visualization of 3D image stacks, volumetric data, segmentation of 3D samples impacted by reduced light penetration, segmentation of individual cells to extract population data.
- How to harness the power of deep learning HCA capabilities to analyze and digitize highly complex imaging experiment data extracted from 3D models and live cell systems.